I’ve finally finished my android build. This is one that got more and more complicated as I went on. I originally started this at the beginning of December 2019 and finished mid april 2020, so a fair length of time for a project.
The original intention of this project was to attempt to sculpt a hard edged model. Hard edged modelmaking usually involves creating shapes from sheet materials and found objects, which is an approach I’ve used in previous projects. However I’ve been trying to work more and more sculpture into my robot projects and so for this one I’ve sculpted all of the robots body parts. The rest is mostly machined brass with a few found objects incorporated here and there.
I’ve been making some progress on my android build, largely scratchbuilding additional detail onto the cast shapes that I’ve created. At the time of writing I’ve started painting the piece, so getting close to the finish line 😉
Here’s something I’ve been working on for the last few months. I’ve been building a fair few mechs and scratchbuilt robots recently and I wanted to find a way of introducing more sculpture to that type of build. So I decided to sculpt a hard edged model in the form of a female android.
It’s difficult to sculpt accurate curved geometric shapes, so I spent alot of time sanding the shapes smooth before moulding them,
I’ve finished my mech build. In this second and final part of the video series I paint the model, add some detail to the base and add some LED lights. I’ve gotta say I really enjoyed doing this and am already thinking about ideas for another robot build. I’ve also been watching diorama building videos on YouTube and want to include some of those techniques in the build.
Just to note that I’ve not made this video live on Youtube at the time of posting it here. I’m just curious as to whether anyone actually looks at my blog 😉
Here’s a video of a 1950s-esque robot that I made recently. This is actually a cast of my bioshock mask which went abit wrong, but had a really nice texture to it that looks a little like rusted and pitted metal. So I used it to create this sculpture.
About five years ago I had a go at making The Lady of Pain from the Dungeons and Dragons Planescape setting. I wanted to try some patination techniques to corrode some brass and the character is shown as being made from corroded brass, so it seemed like a good plan. My original attempt is here, but I’ve recently had another go at it which has been a little more successful. I’ve put together a build log covering the piece and even had some fun creating a CG version of Sigil, the city that The Lady of Pain governs in the Planescape setting.
Here’re some pics of the piece
And here are some shots of Sigil 🙂 It’s been good fun creating images from a game that was discontinued back in the 90s! I’d love it if a film was made in the setting one day, I fear this might be too obscure a property to get that kind of treatment though, alas.
So here’s a new thing I’m working on. It’s the beginning of some Tony Stark/Iron Man sculptures, specifically the test flight scene and Mk 1 armour from the first film.
I’ve started with the head sculpt as you can see, but I’ve also created a generic body which I can easily cast up multiple copies of. I can then layer additional sculpted and cast pieces on top, so for example the flight test boots and stabilisers and the Mk 1 armour.
I’m currently molding and casting the head sculpt and will then start on the additional armour pieces.