I’ve finally finished the sculpt for my clockwork android, or ‘oldroid’ (0.L.Droid). Here’re some pics:
I’m quite pleased with the way this one has come out and have now moved on to making a mold. Here’re a few progress pics:
First, I’ve covered the back of the sculpt in polythene
It’s then laid in a bed of clay
The edges are lined up with the sculpt and brushed down with water. This is to make the seam lines as small as possible.
Next step is to give it a coat of resin. I won’t go into how to mix it up, but basically you add a set % of catalyst to set it off.
I then dripped the resin all over the sculpture using a brush.
Once that had hardened I got some thixotropic resin which is basically a viscous type of resin that doesn’t drip.
I used this to fill in any gaps and undercuts.
Once that had hardened I added another layer of resin, this time with glass fibre to reinforce the existing layers of resin.
Once that had all hardened I flipped the mold over and started cleaning out the layer of clay.
This is a pain in the arse to be honest, however I found a way of doing it that was a little easier and also (more importantly) risked less damage to the sculpture; I turned the shower hose on it and used a brush to lightly brush away the clay as it became saturated with water. As Chavant is oil based this didn’t damage the sculpture.
This was a lot easier than picking it out with a sculpting tool, although I had to sit in the bath to do it and got soaked, still we must suffer for our art ;0)
You’ll notice there’s still some clay left in the mold. That’s deliberate, this mold is going to have a core, so i’ll be building up some space for that when I come to do the second half of the mold.