Making a Robot Head Part 5 – Soldering and Final Detail Work

I’ve finished my video series!  In this part I add the final bits of detail to the stand and give it a final paint.

I really enjoyed doing these so I’ll definitely be doing more.  In fact I have more ready to go 😉  I’m also away on an ‘artists retreat’ next week so I’ll be working on some new sculptures and videoing the work on them 🙂

Making a Robot Head Part 4 – Scratch Building Detail and Soldering Copper

Here’s part 4 of my video series which covers making some more mechanical detailing out of various bits and pieces.  I also solder some pipes together to create a stand to hang the model from.

This was intended to be the last part of the video series however the video was getting a little bit long so I’ll be doing a part 5 to cover the final steps of the build.

Machine Head II

Here’s a quick update on my second robot head sculpture, Machine Head II.

I’ve now built a frame to hang the head from.  As you may know I’ve been doing a video series about the making of this piece and I was going to make part 4 the last part, however this has got abit more involved than I’d planned so I think a part 5 might be in order!

That does mean I can get part 4 up quicker than I otherwise would.



Robot Head update

Work continues on my robot head and I’m partway through editing part 4 of my video series, I’m halfway through moving house at the mo though so work is progressing a little more slowly than normal.

Robot Head 01

Robot Head 02


I’m using deodorant bottles to make some rocket boosters.  Why should a robot head need rocket boosters I hear you ask? I have no idea – hopefully it looks cool though 😉

Robot Head 03 - booster



Making a Robot Head Part 3 – painting

Here’s part 3 of my Robot Head Tutorial where I concentrate on the painting and use some of the weathering techniques I’ve previously tried.

I decided I didn’t like the initial paint scheme so I actually do it twice in the vid!

Here’s a pic of the painted piece.



I’ve been having a go at doing some weathering paint techniques, mostly following this video by Scale Model Medic on Youtube.  It involves first painting a layer of rust using an enamel varnish and powder pigments.  You then mask off some of the rust with a layer of latex and paint the top layer.  Once it’s all dry you can peel the latex away to create quite a realistic effect.  You can also go back to the rust layer and reactivate it with a thinner to make it run.

Here’re some pics.



It’s a nice technique and produces some really realistic results. It’s also pretty easy to do.  If you’re interested, I’m using humbrol weathering powders.

Here’re a few earlier attempts.  I found you’re better off using lighter colours so the rust shows up more clearly.

DSC_7623 DSC_7628

I’m using the technique to do some chipped paint on a new piece that I’ve just realised I haven’t mentioned yet – going to be a big corroded robot face that I’m making for the Steampunks in Space event I’m taking part in later in the year.  I’ll stick some pics up soon, but here’s a preview in the meantime 😉

This is in no way finished but I’m imagining this thing was once painted but has spent thousands of years at the bottom of the sea, so there’ll be some trace of the original paint remaining, but it’ll mostly be all corroded and destroyed.



Here’s the video tutorial I’ve been following.

Shooting miniatures

So I’ve now finished my ‘Lab 558’ miniature and am in the process off shooting it.  I bought myself a glidetrack a few years ago which is a gadget that lets you get smooth panning shots with your camera.  I’ve not really used it that much however so I’m taking full advantage of that.

I’m also trying to incorporate CG elements into the miniature shots using a camera tracker plug-in in after effects.  It’s quite clever as it not only figures out the camera move but also the lens and focus distance as well.  I’m then creating additional CG rocks and other elements to add to the lab model.

Here’s my set up.


And here’s a pic of the model.



Lab 558

I mentioned previously that I’m currently working on a new video for my brothers song Some of the creatures have broken the locks on the door to lab 558.  The video’s grown to encompass quite a few different techniques which is fun.  I’ll probably mention a few of these at a later date, but the main one is creating an actual ‘Lab 558’, which I’m doing by building a scale miniature.  This is mostly comprised of mdf, styrene plastic, polystyrene and various found objects for detailing.

I was taking a few pics last night and quite like this one.  It’s lit solely by some scale floodlights that are built into the model itself.