Just thought I’d share this quick video of my Steampunk Exo Suit which I posted on my facebook page. The piece is basically done, a few more details to take care of but basically there. The Asylum‘s next week so looking forward to taking it out on the road, so to speak.
I’m currently editing the final part of my build log which I’ll post soon as it’s finished.
So here’s the first cast of my Bat Creature bust. I detail the process of making the mould and sculpting the bust in this video series.
I’m quite relieved this has all worked out. This is probably the largest and most complicated mould I’ve made so there was alot that could’ve gone wrong. As you can see I’ve cast it in two colours as I plan to paint the base stone coloured and the creature with flesh tones.
I’ll be detailing all this in the last part of the video series.
Here’s the second part of my ‘Steampunk Exo Suit’ build log and it’s starting to take shape. It took me quite alot of experimentation to get the length and spacing of the pistons correct but they seem to work really well now. I might add a few more pistons – it definitely needs one on the back of the arm that will move when I move my forearm.
Once I’ve got all the functionality working I’ll then pull it apart and start adding detail and start painting.
So with The Asylum barely two months away, I’m working on a new costume piece for the festival. Last year it was Steampunk Predator. This year it’s a steampunk version of the exo-suit from Elysium.
I had some experience with making items out of wood and plastic last year making my predator shoulder cannon. The main barrel is made from PVC pipe overlaid with thin brass sheet. That gave me the idea that it might be relatively easy to make some pistons in the same way. I could then attach them to a costume piece and have them move as I moved. The power suit from Elysium seemed like an obvious choice for inspiration.
Here’s the next part in my video series in which I build a mould of the sculpture I’ve been working on. This took ages! So I’ve not been posting much in the meantime, I do have a few projects on the go at the mo which will be materialising at some stage soon though, one of which is a new music video.
Here’s the next installment of my tutorial series. I finish up the sculpting here and build a base for the model out of MDF and plastic. I also make a mould and cast up some detail pieces for the base.
My incessant videoing continues with a new video looking at some steampunk items that I’ve made! I plan to do some more in depth ‘how-to’ videos, but I’ve built quite alot of stuff over the last few years so I thought I’d give it an airing 😉