Lincoln Steampunk Asylum 2019

I’m preparing for the Lincoln Steampunk Asylum and this year round, unlike the last two years, I wanted to do something that doesn’t involve covering my face!  I had intended to make something that was nice and comfortable.   What I’m working on is a little more comfortable than a full on mask, but as it’s turning out, only by abit 😉

In this video I use a technique called cold casting to build some armour pieces.

Making a Retro Sci-fi Ray Gun

This is a ray gun that I made out of some cast resin pieces.  It was one of those occasions where a few bits and pieces made for different projects just happen to fit together perfectly and just beg to be made into something.  I’ve built up abit of a library of cast bits and pieces now so I’m increasingly finding myself using them to build projects.

Steampunks in Space 2018

I recently attended Steampunks in Space, an event held in the National Space Center in Leicester.  I’ve attended several times previously, but it’s always really nice to be able exhibit my models, sculptures, costumes pieces and props.  Here’s a video and some pics.

 

The British Steampunk Army

Check out The British Steampunk Army!

45410539_2231661500448016_7947536316357410816_o

You might recognise the green mask at the back.  It’s a variant of my Bioshock inspired mask that I made for them.  This is what it looked like when I shipped it out:

20181002_202541

They’ve modified it abit as you can see below and I think it looks really cool – I’d never have thought of adding the plumage but it really works!  Their outfits are fantastic.

45406115_2232147760399390_4402462566412976128_n

I particularly like the stained glass shield!

45458965_2232147653732734_2241323121434951680_n

As you may have noticed this one has three eyes rather than two like my previous mask,  so I needed a little help with the code from a friend of mine, but I think they look pretty cool.

 

 

Bioshock inspired mask is finally finished.

So I’ve finally finished my mask (more or less!).  I struggled a little with the direction of this one, as while I had the form down, I wasn’t sure on the paint scheme.  My previous mask had a very clear direction which I lacked a little for this one.  Once I settled on making something that could fit into the bioshock games however, things came together quite nicely.
 
Here’s a quick vid of the costume.

 

 
And here’s part 3 of my build series.

 

Steampunk mask – channeling Bioshock.

I’ve been working on my steampunk/dieselpunk mask which has taken a turn towards the steampunk (as opposed to my previous mask which ended up looking a little dieselpunk).  I think this has largely been because I’ve been playing the Bioshock series of video games recently which may have influenced my thinking a little 😉  I’m now thinking of this as something that would fit into the world of Rapture and am detailing and painting accordingly.

20180624_203517-01

 

As with the other cast of this that I made from the mould, I ended up changing my mind with the paint scheme.  Here’s how it previously looked.

20180623_191454-01

I’d gone with this paint scheme as I’d originally used a similar colour scheme for my machine head sculpture, but I didn’t think it worked quite so well at a larger scale, so I went for the black colour scheme above.

I’m due to post the second part of my video series covering the building of this soon which will mostly look at moulding and casting.

Screenshot_20180529-180314-01 Screenshot_20180529-112611-01 20180620_224641-01

I’ve been working on getting the electronics in the mask working however, which includes ventilation fans and some LED rings in the eyes.  Here’s a pic of the eyes in operation.

20180625_225251-01