The Lady of Pain

About five years ago I had a go at making The Lady of Pain from the Dungeons and Dragons Planescape setting.  I wanted to try some patination techniques to corrode some brass and the character is shown as being made from corroded brass, so it seemed like a good plan.  My original attempt is here, but I’ve recently had another go at it which has been a little more successful.  I’ve put together a build log covering the piece and even had some fun creating a CG version of Sigil, the city that The Lady of Pain governs in the Planescape setting.

Here’re some pics of the piece

The Lady of Pain

 

And here are some shots of Sigil 🙂  It’s been good fun creating images from a game that was discontinued back in the 90s!  I’d love it  if a film was made in the setting one day, I fear this might be too obscure a property to get that kind of treatment though, alas.

Sigil - Planescape D&D

Lady of Pain Banner

Tony Stark

So here’s a new thing I’m working on. It’s the beginning of some Tony Stark/Iron Man sculptures, specifically the test flight scene and Mk 1 armour from the first film.

IMG_20181014_203148_433

 

mk-1 test-flight

I’ve started with the head sculpt as you can see, but I’ve also created a generic body which I can easily cast up multiple copies of. I can then layer additional sculpted and cast pieces on top, so for example the flight test boots and stabilisers and the Mk 1 armour.

Screenshot_20181024-131232_Video Player

I’m currently molding and casting the head sculpt and will then start on the additional armour pieces.

Screenshot_20181024-131421_Video Player

When casts go wrong.

I’m currently in the process of making a new steampunk/dieselpunk mask.  Unlike previous masks I’ve actually made a mould of this one, so I’m able to run off as many casts as I like.  I initially thought I ‘d roto cast these – meaning that you pour in some casting material (typically resin) and rotate the mould as it dries, coating the interior.

I decided to use some polyurethane resin despite the manufacturer stating on their website ‘not suitable for roto casting’.  Surprisingly enough, it didn’t quite work, but it went wrong in a rather cool way.  As the layer was a little thin, I decided to give it a backing of fibre glass for strength.  Once I’d pulled it out the mould some of the urethane resin was flaking off giving it a rather cool pitted metal effect as you can see in the below pic.

2018-06-01 20.48.51

So I decided to develop the cast into a sort of ‘damaged robot’ sculpture.  Here’s my first pass at painting the cast:

2018-06-02 14.28.19

I then masked off various sections with latex and gave it a layer of green paint.  Rubbing away the latex exposed the metal and rust below. I could then use a thinner to make the rust run.

2018-06-02 17.36.01

I’ve tried green colour schemes with rust before and didn’t really like them, so I decided to have another go.

2018-06-09 11.26.18

The blue gives it abit of a 1950s look I think which I quite like, so I’m going to stick with this.  As you can see I’ve also added some LEDs into the eyes which actually flicker which also gives it abit of a retro look.

2018-06-11 23.19.56

I’m going to add a neck and shoulders to this too I think.

Multimedia Steampunk Adventurer Sculpture

This is a multi media sculpture that I started working on over a year ago.  It’s comprised of typical sculpture materials like super sculpey but I also used fabric and metal and lots of other materials to create all the different elements for this one.  Here’s a quick video of the sculpture itself.

And here’s part one of my build log.  Part 2 should be along in a few weeks.

‘Nature Spirit’ sculpture using Cernit Polymer Clay

Here’s a new piece that I put together over the easter weekend recently.  It’s an evil ‘nature spirit’ type creature.  I sculpted this using a combination of Super Sculpey and Cernit polymer clays.  I’d only used Cernit briefly before and didn’t get on with it too well, but I have a better experience with it this time.

20180402_133517-01

Sculpting a Creature Bust with Chavant oil clay

Here’s a video looking at sculpting up an initial design for what may ultimately become an animatronic puppet.  I thougth it would be quite nice to have a piece that would have a motion sensor in it that could react when people come close.  Should be quite amusing to have at exhibitions as it suddenly moves and scares people!  That’s the plan anyway. A fair bit to do before getting to that stage.

Steampunks in Space 2017

I recently attended the annual Steampunks in Space event at the National Space Centre in Leicester.  I’ve exhibited my sculptures there before but this time round I also ceated a piece specifically for the event.  They ran a ‘space race’ exhibition for sculptures along a steampunk/space theme, so this is my piece.  It’s a silicon rubber sculpture built over a shop mannequin and then dressed in various pieces of steampunk kit that I’ve built over the years.

 

DSC_6069

I’ll have a complete build log on this on youtube channel soon, but for the time being here’s a quick video from the event.

And here’re some more pics of the piece! 🙂