I’ve finally finished my android build. This is one that got more and more complicated as I went on. I originally started this at the beginning of December 2019 and finished mid april 2020, so a fair length of time for a project.
The original intention of this project was to attempt to sculpt a hard edged model. Hard edged modelmaking usually involves creating shapes from sheet materials and found objects, which is an approach I’ve used in previous projects. However I’ve been trying to work more and more sculpture into my robot projects and so for this one I’ve sculpted all of the robots body parts. The rest is mostly machined brass with a few found objects incorporated here and there.
I’ve been making some progress on my android build, largely scratchbuilding additional detail onto the cast shapes that I’ve created. At the time of writing I’ve started painting the piece, so getting close to the finish line 😉
Here’s something I’ve been working on for the last few months. I’ve been building a fair few mechs and scratchbuilt robots recently and I wanted to find a way of introducing more sculpture to that type of build. So I decided to sculpt a hard edged model in the form of a female android.
It’s difficult to sculpt accurate curved geometric shapes, so I spent alot of time sanding the shapes smooth before moulding them,
My mech obsession is continuing with a new build. I wanted to do something a little more retro/steampunk for this one. I also found a cool way to do the legs by using some cupboard door hinges. It seems I forgot to post the first part, so here are both 😉
Here’s the second part of my latest mech build! This time around I’ve gone a little 1950s-esque with the colour scheme.
The face is inspired by some of Simon Stalenhag’s work. He’s a fantastic artist if you’ve not heard of him. Here’s an example of his stuff. I talk a little more about him and other mech artists in this video.
Here’s the second part of my video series in which I finish my mech model, paint it up and add a diorama base. I’ve been watching quite a lot of diorama videos on YouTube recently and I’ve become very struck by the people who do this kind of thing cos there’s some amazing stuff out there. So in this video I add some clear resin to the base to serve as some water and I also add some vegetation and various other bits to create, hopefully, a realistic looking diorama scene.
Following on from my previous mech build, I became a little obsessed with robots (not that I wasn’t already) and launched straight into my next build, this time of a scout type robot. I’m imagining this one is designed for hunting targets in bogs and marshes. In this video I construct the model. I’ll be painting it and sorting out a diorama base in the next part.
I also got hold of some inspiration from these two artists, both of whom are amazing.
I’ve finished my mech build. In this second and final part of the video series I paint the model, add some detail to the base and add some LED lights. I’ve gotta say I really enjoyed doing this and am already thinking about ideas for another robot build. I’ve also been watching diorama building videos on YouTube and want to include some of those techniques in the build.
Just to note that I’ve not made this video live on Youtube at the time of posting it here. I’m just curious as to whether anyone actually looks at my blog 😉