I’m nearly finished working on this so I’ve been having some fun taking some pics 😉
Here’s the second part of my build series.
I’ve been working on my steampunk/dieselpunk mask which has taken a turn towards the steampunk (as opposed to my previous mask which ended up looking a little dieselpunk). I think this has largely been because I’ve been playing the Bioshock series of video games recently which may have influenced my thinking a little 😉 I’m now thinking of this as something that would fit into the world of Rapture and am detailing and painting accordingly.
As with the other cast of this that I made from the mould, I ended up changing my mind with the paint scheme. Here’s how it previously looked.
I’d gone with this paint scheme as I’d originally used a similar colour scheme for my machine head sculpture, but I didn’t think it worked quite so well at a larger scale, so I went for the black colour scheme above.
I’m due to post the second part of my video series covering the building of this soon which will mostly look at moulding and casting.
I’ve been working on getting the electronics in the mask working however, which includes ventilation fans and some LED rings in the eyes. Here’s a pic of the eyes in operation.
Here’s the second part of my build series covering my Steampunk Adventurer build. In this video I look at creating some steampunk gadgets to add to the sculpture.
I’m currently in the process of making a new steampunk/dieselpunk mask. Unlike previous masks I’ve actually made a mould of this one, so I’m able to run off as many casts as I like. I initially thought I ‘d roto cast these – meaning that you pour in some casting material (typically resin) and rotate the mould as it dries, coating the interior.
I decided to use some polyurethane resin despite the manufacturer stating on their website ‘not suitable for roto casting’. Surprisingly enough, it didn’t quite work, but it went wrong in a rather cool way. As the layer was a little thin, I decided to give it a backing of fibre glass for strength. Once I’d pulled it out the mould some of the urethane resin was flaking off giving it a rather cool pitted metal effect as you can see in the below pic.
So I decided to develop the cast into a sort of ‘damaged robot’ sculpture. Here’s my first pass at painting the cast:
I then masked off various sections with latex and gave it a layer of green paint. Rubbing away the latex exposed the metal and rust below. I could then use a thinner to make the rust run.
I’ve tried green colour schemes with rust before and didn’t really like them, so I decided to have another go.
The blue gives it abit of a 1950s look I think which I quite like, so I’m going to stick with this. As you can see I’ve also added some LEDs into the eyes which actually flicker which also gives it abit of a retro look.
I’m going to add a neck and shoulders to this too I think.
I went down to the International Makeup Artists Trade Show this weekend. My steampunk astronaut had made his way down to the show at the request of Bentley Advanced Chemicals who were the supplier of the silicon rubber I used for the sculpture. It was very nice to have him out on display as he’s been sitting in the loft for the last six months. Here’s a quick vid.
The Asylum is coming up later in the year so I’m trying to get a head start and begin work on my costume earlier than I usually do. This is kind of like version 2.0 of my previous steampunk mask, although it should look quite different. This time round I’m making a mould of the whole thing and casting it in polyurethane resin and fibre glass. I’m quite looking forward to doing the paint job on this one (and I can always cast another copy and start again if I screw it up!), but I’m not quite there yet 😉
This is a multi media sculpture that I started working on over a year ago. It’s comprised of typical sculpture materials like super sculpey but I also used fabric and metal and lots of other materials to create all the different elements for this one. Here’s a quick video of the sculpture itself.
And here’s part one of my build log. Part 2 should be along in a few weeks.
Here’re a few pics of my Nature Spirit sculpture (the making of video is available on my previous post or here).
Here’s a new piece that I put together over the easter weekend recently. It’s an evil ‘nature spirit’ type creature. I sculpted this using a combination of Super Sculpey and Cernit polymer clays. I’d only used Cernit briefly before and didn’t get on with it too well, but I have a better experience with it this time.