I’m currently in the process of making a new steampunk/dieselpunk mask.  Unlike previous masks I’ve actually made a mould of this one, so I’m able to run off as many casts as I like.  I initially thought I ‘d roto cast these – meaning that you pour in some casting material (typically resin) and rotate the mould as it dries, coating the interior.

I decided to use some polyurethane resin despite the manufacturer stating on their website ‘not suitable for roto casting’.  Surprisingly enough, it didn’t quite work, but it went wrong in a rather cool way.  As the layer was a little thin, I decided to give it a backing of fibre glass for strength.  Once I’d pulled it out the mould some of the urethane resin was flaking off giving it a rather cool pitted metal effect as you can see in the below pic.

2018-06-01 20.48.51

So I decided to develop the cast into a sort of ‘damaged robot’ sculpture.  Here’s my first pass at painting the cast:

2018-06-02 14.28.19

I then masked off various sections with latex and gave it a layer of green paint.  Rubbing away the latex exposed the metal and rust below. I could then use a thinner to make the rust run.

2018-06-02 17.36.01

I’ve tried green colour schemes with rust before and didn’t really like them, so I decided to have another go.

2018-06-09 11.26.18

The blue gives it abit of a 1950s look I think which I quite like, so I’m going to stick with this.  As you can see I’ve also added some LEDs into the eyes which actually flicker which also gives it abit of a retro look.

2018-06-11 23.19.56

I’m going to add a neck and shoulders to this too I think.

Leave a Reply