It’s that time of year when I start working on my piece for The Asylum.  I’d actually intended to start working on this in January so I had plenty of time to get it sorted.  That’s obviously not happened!

IMG_20170611_164337_554

This is intended to be a pilot’s helmet for Imperial Aethyric Airways, my friend Sue’s steampunk troupe.  As you can see they’re characterised by their union jack livery and it’s high time I joined them, so this will be painted in union jack colours too.

1888794_10152758840996477_953540191489677187_o

I’m constructing this out of foam initially

IMG_20170602_104708_018

And have then covered it in fibre glass and car body filler.  After much shaping and sanding I’ve ended up with this.

IMG_20170607_132719_175

Here’s a rough sketch of how this is going to look – the pipes in the respirator will lead down to a unit in the chest which will have fans circulating air into the mask so I can actually breath (important).

2017-06-13 19.17.24

The flaps on the side and top of the mask are intended to be aerofoils which will be servo controlled.  I’m thinking these will be linked to a tilt switch so that when I tilt my head the servos run through a programmed sequence.

I’ve got myself an ardino and have managed to make a servo move back and forth, which I guess is a first step ;)

Leave a Reply