Archive for the “Machine Head I” Category

So here’re some decent pics of my rust face sculpture which I’ve decided to name Machine Head. More pics here.

DSC_7828a

DSC_7856a

DSC_7903a

Comments No Comments »

Here’s a small update on my rust face sculpture.  I think I thought up a good name for it the other day, but I promptly forgot it again, so it’s still called Rust Face ;)

Anyway, I’ve been working on the base.  I had to make a wooden block to screw the pipe that it’s built around into, so I needed to disguise that.  The round base is a surround from a ceiling light bracket.  The block was then overlaid with styrene plastic and the gaps filled in with Jesmonite resin (which basically seems like plaster with PVA glue in it).  I’ve then added a bunch of pieces for mechanical detailing.  I particularly like the motor on the side.  This is from an old VHS player.  It was all aluminium and plastic but once I gave it a coat of rust coloured paint it really made it look realistic.  I think the rust effect gives it a degree of scale so it really looks like an abandoned piece of machinery.

I’ve a feeling this won’t be the last rusty thing I make…. ;)

I’ll be taking some better pics of this soon which should look alot better than phone snaps.

2015-11-02 22.26.12

Comments No Comments »

It’s not that great a photo, but here’s a pic of some more work I’ve been doing to the back of my rust face sculpture.  I’ve mostly been hot gluing conduit onto the back to cover gaps in the sculpture.  I like the rust effect as it adds a degree of scale.  I’m quite happy with the way this looks considering it’s made from deodorant bottles, a lamp and a few lids ;)

2015-10-26 23.41.28

Here’s another pic:

2015-10-26 23.43.06

Comments No Comments »

So here’s a new piece I’ve been working on.  It’s all come together pretty quickly.  It’s mostly an excuse for me to have a go at some weathering techniques that I’ve been having a go at, but I also had a vague idea of doing a head which was also an engine.  As you do ;)

DSC_7697a

 

So this started off as a sculpey sculpture with various bits and pieces stuck in it.  The back of the head is a lamp shade, the two blue bits are deodorant bottles, the black bits are the caps from hair gel tubes and the cannister is a NO2 container.  It looks abit weird here as I was initially going for a more stylised look.  I also had the head abit too short so it looked abit goofy!

2015-10-19 23.07.07

Once I had the sculpture sorted I used the same method I’ve previously spoken about – I painted the sculpture rust coloured, then masked off certain areas by sponging latex over it.  I then painted the top paint layer and once it was dry rubbed the latex away to reveal the rust underneath.

2015-10-24 19.30.48 DSC_7682a DSC_7686a

Almost done now – needs abit more mechanical detailing I think.  Here’re a few more pics.

DSC_7696a

DSC_7699a

text

Comments No Comments »