Here’s a video of a 1950s-esque robot that I made recently. This is actually a cast of my bioshock mask which went abit wrong, but had a really nice texture to it that looks a little like rusted and pitted metal. So I used it to create this sculpture.
I’m currently in the process of making a new steampunk/dieselpunk mask. Unlike previous masks I’ve actually made a mould of this one, so I’m able to run off as many casts as I like. I initially thought I ‘d roto cast these – meaning that you pour in some casting material (typically resin) and rotate the mould as it dries, coating the interior.
I decided to use some polyurethane resin despite the manufacturer stating on their website ‘not suitable for roto casting’. Surprisingly enough, it didn’t quite work, but it went wrong in a rather cool way. As the layer was a little thin, I decided to give it a backing of fibre glass for strength. Once I’d pulled it out the mould some of the urethane resin was flaking off giving it a rather cool pitted metal effect as you can see in the below pic.
So I decided to develop the cast into a sort of ‘damaged robot’ sculpture. Here’s my first pass at painting the cast:
I then masked off various sections with latex and gave it a layer of green paint. Rubbing away the latex exposed the metal and rust below. I could then use a thinner to make the rust run.
I’ve tried green colour schemes with rust before and didn’t really like them, so I decided to have another go.
The blue gives it abit of a 1950s look I think which I quite like, so I’m going to stick with this. As you can see I’ve also added some LEDs into the eyes which actually flicker which also gives it abit of a retro look.
I’m going to add a neck and shoulders to this too I think.