So I’ve finally finished my mask (more or less!). I struggled a little with the direction of this one, as while I had the form down, I wasn’t sure on the paint scheme. My previous mask had a very clear direction which I lacked a little for this one. Once I settled on making something that could fit into the bioshock games however, things came together quite nicely.
I’ve been working on my steampunk/dieselpunk mask which has taken a turn towards the steampunk (as opposed to my previous mask which ended up looking a little dieselpunk). I think this has largely been because I’ve been playing the Bioshock series of video games recently which may have influenced my thinking a little 😉 I’m now thinking of this as something that would fit into the world of Rapture and am detailing and painting accordingly.
As with the other cast of this that I made from the mould, I ended up changing my mind with the paint scheme. Here’s how it previously looked.
I’d gone with this paint scheme as I’d originally used a similar colour scheme for my machine head sculpture, but I didn’t think it worked quite so well at a larger scale, so I went for the black colour scheme above.
I’m due to post the second part of my video series covering the building of this soon which will mostly look at moulding and casting.
I’ve been working on getting the electronics in the mask working however, which includes ventilation fans and some LED rings in the eyes. Here’s a pic of the eyes in operation.
The Asylum is coming up later in the year so I’m trying to get a head start and begin work on my costume earlier than I usually do. This is kind of like version 2.0 of my previous steampunk mask, although it should look quite different. This time round I’m making a mould of the whole thing and casting it in polyurethane resin and fibre glass. I’m quite looking forward to doing the paint job on this one (and I can always cast another copy and start again if I screw it up!), but I’m not quite there yet 😉