Archive for the “The Asylum 2017” Category

Here’s part two of my video series looking at making a steampunk mask.

As mentioned this is for the Asylum Steampunk festival in Lincoln at the end of august so I’m trying to get everything ready in time.  This is the first time I’ve managed to get everything on to test whether it all works.  I found that the ventilation unit on the back (which actually works and circulates air through the mask) was a little too low so the gas mask hoses were a little too tight.  I’ve been re-adjusting this

I’m also making a steampunk revolver, which is the first time I’ve actually had a go at making a steampunk hand gun.  This is made from copper piping and some plywood which I’ve covered in plastic, leather and some cast resin pieces made from CO2 cannisters and various other mechanical pieces.

IMG_20170812_220918_916

 

I’ve also made some union jack shin guards which are made from foam covered in fibre glass which I’ve sanded smooth.

20170808_235748

Comments No Comments »

Here’s the first part of my build log looking at the creation of my steampunk mask/flight helmet.

I’ve got a little further along in the build than the video shows, but I’ll be detailing that fully in the next part.

20170716_234303

20170716_234623 20170716_234613

Comments No Comments »

It’s that time of year when I start working on my piece for The Asylum.  I’d actually intended to start working on this in January so I had plenty of time to get it sorted.  That’s obviously not happened!

IMG_20170611_164337_554

This is intended to be a pilot’s helmet for Imperial Aethyric Airways, my friend Sue’s steampunk troupe.  As you can see they’re characterised by their union jack livery and it’s high time I joined them, so this will be painted in union jack colours too.

1888794_10152758840996477_953540191489677187_o

I’m constructing this out of foam initially

IMG_20170602_104708_018

And have then covered it in fibre glass and car body filler.  After much shaping and sanding I’ve ended up with this.

IMG_20170607_132719_175

Here’s a rough sketch of how this is going to look – the pipes in the respirator will lead down to a unit in the chest which will have fans circulating air into the mask so I can actually breath (important).

2017-06-13 19.17.24

The flaps on the side and top of the mask are intended to be aerofoils which will be servo controlled.  I’m thinking these will be linked to a tilt switch so that when I tilt my head the servos run through a programmed sequence.

I’ve got myself an ardino and have managed to make a servo move back and forth, which I guess is a first step ;)

Comments No Comments »