I attended the Asylum last weekend, Lincoln’s Annual Steampunk festival. I’m currently editing a video, but here’re some pics in the meantime. As you can see I got to road test my exo-suit arm as well as see some rather amazing costumes made by others.
Here’s the final part of my build log for my steampunk exo-suit power arm thing (still not doing too well on coming up with titles for my stuff!). I’m quite pleased with how this came out. The mobility is pretty good and it doesn’t restrict my movement much at all.
I’m off to the Asylum Steampunk Festival this weekend so we’ll see how it holds up!
Just thought I’d share this quick video of my Steampunk Exo Suit which I posted on my facebook page. The piece is basically done, a few more details to take care of but basically there. The Asylum‘s next week so looking forward to taking it out on the road, so to speak.
I’m currently editing the final part of my build log which I’ll post soon as it’s finished.
Here’s the second part of my ‘Steampunk Exo Suit’ build log and it’s starting to take shape. It took me quite alot of experimentation to get the length and spacing of the pistons correct but they seem to work really well now. I might add a few more pistons – it definitely needs one on the back of the arm that will move when I move my forearm.
Once I’ve got all the functionality working I’ll then pull it apart and start adding detail and start painting.
I had some experience with making items out of wood and plastic last year making my predator shoulder cannon. The main barrel is made from PVC pipe overlaid with thin brass sheet. That gave me the idea that it might be relatively easy to make some pistons in the same way. I could then attach them to a costume piece and have them move as I moved. The power suit from Elysium seemed like an obvious choice for inspiration.