Steampunks in Space 2018

I recently attended Steampunks in Space, an event held in the National Space Center in Leicester.  I’ve attended several times previously, but it’s always really nice to be able exhibit my models, sculptures, costumes pieces and props.  Here’s a video and some pics.

 

The Lady of Pain

About five years ago I had a go at making The Lady of Pain from the Dungeons and Dragons Planescape setting.  I wanted to try some patination techniques to corrode some brass and the character is shown as being made from corroded brass, so it seemed like a good plan.  My original attempt is here, but I’ve recently had another go at it which has been a little more successful.  I’ve put together a build log covering the piece and even had some fun creating a CG version of Sigil, the city that The Lady of Pain governs in the Planescape setting.

Here’re some pics of the piece

The Lady of Pain

 

And here are some shots of Sigil 🙂  It’s been good fun creating images from a game that was discontinued back in the 90s!  I’d love it  if a film was made in the setting one day, I fear this might be too obscure a property to get that kind of treatment though, alas.

Sigil - Planescape D&D

Lady of Pain Banner

The British Steampunk Army

Check out The British Steampunk Army!

45410539_2231661500448016_7947536316357410816_o

You might recognise the green mask at the back.  It’s a variant of my Bioshock inspired mask that I made for them.  This is what it looked like when I shipped it out:

20181002_202541

They’ve modified it abit as you can see below and I think it looks really cool – I’d never have thought of adding the plumage but it really works!  Their outfits are fantastic.

45406115_2232147760399390_4402462566412976128_n

I particularly like the stained glass shield!

45458965_2232147653732734_2241323121434951680_n

As you may have noticed this one has three eyes rather than two like my previous mask,  so I needed a little help with the code from a friend of mine, but I think they look pretty cool.

 

 

Tony Stark

So here’s a new thing I’m working on. It’s the beginning of some Tony Stark/Iron Man sculptures, specifically the test flight scene and Mk 1 armour from the first film.

IMG_20181014_203148_433

 

mk-1 test-flight

I’ve started with the head sculpt as you can see, but I’ve also created a generic body which I can easily cast up multiple copies of. I can then layer additional sculpted and cast pieces on top, so for example the flight test boots and stabilisers and the Mk 1 armour.

Screenshot_20181024-131232_Video Player

I’m currently molding and casting the head sculpt and will then start on the additional armour pieces.

Screenshot_20181024-131421_Video Player

Pressure casting and vacuum degassing

Here are some videos covering vacuum degassing silicone and pressure casting resin.  I’ve shown the process in various of my videos previously but I thought it might be useful to have some videos specifically about it for reference.  These videos were made at the same time so they’re designed to go hand in hand.

I think there’s often some confusion as to when you would vacuum degas something and when you would pressure cast something, certainly when I first came to start doing this I was a little bit confused as to when you would use both processes.  Generally speaking you vacuum degas silicon when you’re making a mould.  Pressure casting is used when you are pouring resin into a mould to create a cast and the idea is that you put the mould and casting material within it under pressure.  What that does is to cause any bubbles that get trapped in your mould to be crushed down to tiny points, thus eliminating any air bubbles in your cast.  

 

 

Bioshock inspired mask is finally finished.

So I’ve finally finished my mask (more or less!).  I struggled a little with the direction of this one, as while I had the form down, I wasn’t sure on the paint scheme.  My previous mask had a very clear direction which I lacked a little for this one.  Once I settled on making something that could fit into the bioshock games however, things came together quite nicely.
 
Here’s a quick vid of the costume.

 

 
And here’s part 3 of my build series.