Here are some videos covering vacuum degassing silicone and pressure casting resin.  I’ve shown the process in various of my videos previously but I thought it might be useful to have some videos specifically about it for reference.  These videos were made at the same time so they’re designed to go hand in hand.

I think there’s often some confusion as to when you would vacuum degas something and when you would pressure cast something, certainly when I first came to start doing this I was a little bit confused as to when you would use both processes.  Generally speaking you vacuum degas silicon when you’re making a mould.  Pressure casting is used when you are pouring resin into a mould to create a cast and the idea is that you put the mould and casting material within it under pressure.  What that does is to cause any bubbles that get trapped in your mould to be crushed down to tiny points, thus eliminating any air bubbles in your cast.  

 

 

Comments No Comments »

I recently attended my eighth Asylum steampunk festival in Lincoln. I didn’t take many photos this year, although I did shoot abit of video, so here’s a quick vid of the event. This year I was field testing my new bioshock inspired mask, although I did also use my steampunk flight mask from last year in the military parade.

Comments No Comments »

So I’ve finally finished my mask (more or less!).  I struggled a little with the direction of this one, as while I had the form down, I wasn’t sure on the paint scheme.  My previous mask had a very clear direction which I lacked a little for this one.  Once I settled on making something that could fit into the bioshock games however, things came together quite nicely.
 
Here’s a quick vid of the costume.

 

 
And here’s part 3 of my build series.

 

Comments No Comments »

I’ve been experimenting with some clear cast resin recently :)

received_10155948119507620-01

20180722_113336-01

Comments No Comments »

I’m nearly finished working on this so I’ve been having some fun taking some pics ;)

20180714_130904-01

20180714_130853-01

20180707_173601-03

20180707_173601-01

Comments No Comments »

Here’s the second part of my build series.

Comments No Comments »

I’ve been working on my steampunk/dieselpunk mask which has taken a turn towards the steampunk (as opposed to my previous mask which ended up looking a little dieselpunk).  I think this has largely been because I’ve been playing the Bioshock series of video games recently which may have influenced my thinking a little ;)  I’m now thinking of this as something that would fit into the world of Rapture and am detailing and painting accordingly.

20180624_203517-01

 

As with the other cast of this that I made from the mould, I ended up changing my mind with the paint scheme.  Here’s how it previously looked.

20180623_191454-01

I’d gone with this paint scheme as I’d originally used a similar colour scheme for my machine head sculpture, but I didn’t think it worked quite so well at a larger scale, so I went for the black colour scheme above.

I’m due to post the second part of my video series covering the building of this soon which will mostly look at moulding and casting.

Screenshot_20180529-180314-01 Screenshot_20180529-112611-01 20180620_224641-01

I’ve been working on getting the electronics in the mask working however, which includes ventilation fans and some LED rings in the eyes.  Here’s a pic of the eyes in operation.

20180625_225251-01

 

Comments No Comments »

Here’s the second part of my build series covering my Steampunk Adventurer build.  In this video I look at creating some steampunk gadgets to add to the sculpture.

 

Comments No Comments »

I’m currently in the process of making a new steampunk/dieselpunk mask.  Unlike previous masks I’ve actually made a mould of this one, so I’m able to run off as many casts as I like.  I initially thought I ‘d roto cast these – meaning that you pour in some casting material (typically resin) and rotate the mould as it dries, coating the interior.

I decided to use some polyurethane resin despite the manufacturer stating on their website ‘not suitable for roto casting’.  Surprisingly enough, it didn’t quite work, but it went wrong in a rather cool way.  As the layer was a little thin, I decided to give it a backing of fibre glass for strength.  Once I’d pulled it out the mould some of the urethane resin was flaking off giving it a rather cool pitted metal effect as you can see in the below pic.

2018-06-01 20.48.51

So I decided to develop the cast into a sort of ‘damaged robot’ sculpture.  Here’s my first pass at painting the cast:

2018-06-02 14.28.19

I then masked off various sections with latex and gave it a layer of green paint.  Rubbing away the latex exposed the metal and rust below. I could then use a thinner to make the rust run.

2018-06-02 17.36.01

I’ve tried green colour schemes with rust before and didn’t really like them, so I decided to have another go.

2018-06-09 11.26.18

The blue gives it abit of a 1950s look I think which I quite like, so I’m going to stick with this.  As you can see I’ve also added some LEDs into the eyes which actually flicker which also gives it abit of a retro look.

2018-06-11 23.19.56

I’m going to add a neck and shoulders to this too I think.

Comments No Comments »

I went down to the International Makeup Artists Trade Show this weekend.  My steampunk astronaut had made his way down to the show at the request of Bentley Advanced Chemicals who were the supplier of the silicon rubber I used for the sculpture.  It was very nice to have him out on display as he’s been sitting in the loft for the last six months.  Here’s a quick vid.

 

Comments No Comments »